Pages

Monday, February 20, 2012

Happiness In A Jar



As a little girl, one of my "happy moments" that has stuck with me
was when I would sprawl out on the floor of the bedroom I shared
with my sisters, and pick up all the acrylic beads that had been
dropped, that no one else wanted.
Of course, I would always have to sort through them later to get 
the fuzz and hair off them, but I was very protective of those 
little beads. They were like my personal pieces of happy, in a 
a broken and confused little girl's heart.


We all have to pick through the fuzzies and hair of life to find
our little bits of happy. 
But once you get past the fuzzies and hair, you find things that
are pretty and sparkle.
But the things that are pretty and sparkly are no good unless you
appreciate them. 
We all have stories of being broken and sad.
But let's start to share the stories of being strong and whole.


Let's build each other up, and let the bad be drowned in the good. 
Let's take the broken memories and piece them together
and use them to light the way for others.
Let's take those happy moments, and build them up to hours
and days
then months
years
a lifetime. 




Those neglected beads on the floor of my bedroom?
I put them in a jar. 
I put my childhood in a jar
and I choose to make it beautiful.
It's worth getting past all the fuzzies and hair
to create the little rainbow in a jar,
a reminder that there is beauty and happiness in the ordinary
even when things look bad.
I am reminded that no matter how big or small the jar is,
as long as there is some happiness in it,
I have so much to be thankful for.

No comments:

Post a Comment