Pages

Friday, April 26, 2013

How We Love

When journaling, people often suggest journal prompts. 
They say they are helpful when you don't l
like writing, don't know what to write, or don't feel inspired. 

My prompt is a quote I found today.

"How terrible it is to love something that death can touch."

After reading it, I sat there, repeating those words over and over in my head. My mind took a while to grasp it, but my heart has already been there. I have lost several people to death itself, I have seen those affected by death, and it is never something the heart forgets.
But the mind tries to.
It begs to. It argues with the heart and pleads, until it gets its way.
Mostly, I find it's because we aren't willing to grasp that this earth, this world we live in, everything around us, and all who inhabit it, it's all fragile: We could lose it all in the blink of an eye.
I could lose someone I love. I could lose someone that I was supposed to love, but didn't know how to. 

The potential of loss is sometimes harder to go over than the actual loss. It is always a risk to love someone, no matter what the relationship is. But we are human. Without loving someone, what are we? What is our point here on earth if we don't love?  

Who you love is not always a choice. But how you love them is a choice. 
How blessed we, to have been given the gift of loving people whom death will eventual touch one day. How blessed we are, to have been given such a fragile gift.

How do I love?
How does it show?
If no one asked, would they even know?
Would they see it in my eyes
Would they feel it in my touch
Would they hear it in my words
of "I love you, very much"?

Good luck hiding from love
It will find you someday
It may not wipe your tears
But it can carry you away

To go hide up in the mountains
With your head on the pines' pillows
Put your feet into the river
Then go lay within a meadow

This is how we love
Yet this is how we hide
Safely within comfort's arms
Where no one else resides.


4/26/2013






No comments:

Post a Comment